"Beca" the cycle taxi



Beca is in Malay is known as "trishaw" still not many are alive in my city. 

This picture reminded me of my rides on the beca. This is my mom and her grand-daughter, my niece. 

They took a ride on this historical cycle ride in my hometown Teluk Intan.

Those were days when I was young between age of 7-11 years, I and my cousin were the frequent ones who went on these rides along with our grandmother. 

We used to follow her to the market and return back on one of these cycle taxi's known as "beca's". Those were the fond memories of the days when the time has preserve it to be remembered.

The ride would take us from the market to my grand-parents house about 7km. I do remember as my grandmother comes out of the market, she will have some favourate riders waiting to give her a ride back home. 

These riders, not many old-timers are left nowadays as the riders have disappeared. There seems not to be any successors to continue their jobs.

As time goes by, they are missing, not many left in town as I could see only just one or two nowdays.

So as my grandmother gets her attention and rider knows her since she was also from the Kampung (village) Terengganu where my grandparents started their life since they migrated here before successfully bought a new home. 

They grew up along with all these people who were the pillars of the town, they do recognise and also pay their respect to my grandparents friendship with them.

The rides were fun, as the rider would shares his stories and their kampung years. He respects my grandmother and addresses her "amma". Those were the unity that what could never bring back the time past to current trend of this nation. 

I wondered how these riders could be riding their "beca's", won't they feel pain as they need to so much efforts and energy on their legs to peddle the cycle. Some were really old men but they were strong. 

If it rains, I do rememner they would cover us with a plastic sheet but  100% as it keeps us dry from the water splashing on us. 

I do remember as I would put my fingers through side panels and watch through it while riding on the beca. Sometimes I get to sit at the leg room space so I could get a better view of the journey as though I am on a floating carpet.

This country once had a unity that was unbreakable but now in the diversity of changes many are forgotten.


Teluk Intan my hometown and it had many rickshaw or trishaw when I was a kid I do remembered my frequent rides.They used to be parked along the road right infront of the old wet market just opposite the Leaning Clock Tower. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KumariKandam (குமரிக்கண்டம்) D'Lost Continent Of Tamil Nadu

The Train and An Elephant Story

A Proud Tamizhan !!